1. Start with intention. Everything we do in life stems from our intention for the outcome. Before you begin making wudu, make the intention to purify yourself before performing salat.
2. Start with pouring water on both palms and wash up to your wrists. Run a finger through your fingers, and make sure no parts of your hands are left dry. This action is to be performed three times.
3. Rinse your mouth thoroughly, and inhale water gently into the nose with your right hand, and exhale and clean it out with your left hand. This action is to be performed three times.
4. Wash your face completely, and be sure to not leave any part of your face is left dry. This action is to be performed three times.
5. Wash your right hand and all the way up to and including your elbow. Make sure no part of your right hand, all the way up to your elbow, is left dry. This action is to be performed three times.
6. Repeat step 5 with your left hand and elbow.
7. Wipe both your wet hands over your head, from front to the back. Then wipe from the back of the head starting from the nape of your neck to the front of your head. This action is to be performed only once.
8. Wipe inside of your ears with your index finger and outside of both of your ears with your thumb. This action is to be performed only once.
9. To clean the feet, first start with your right foot and wash it thoroughly all the way up to and including the ankle. Use your left hand to run water through your toes using your pinky finger.
10. Repeat step 9 with your left foot and ankle, this time using your right hand to clean in between the toes.
What to Do After Performing Your Wudu
Recite this dua below upon completing your wudu:
Ashhadu ‘an la ilaha illallahu wahdahu la shareeka lahu, wa ‘ashhadu ‘ana Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa Rasooluhu.
Allahummaj ‘alni minat-tawwabeena waj’alni minal-mutatahhireen
I testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah alone and I testify that Muhammad (SWT) is His slave and His Messenger. (Muslim)
O Allah make me among those who repent and make among those who keep (themselves) pure. (Timridhi)
What will break your Wudu
There are several things that will break your wudu and require you to re-perform prior to praying your salat. These are:
- Falling into a deep sleep.
- Eating camel’s meat.
- If you pass urine, excrement, or wind.
- If you touch your private area without any cover.
- If you lose consciousness due to fainting or lose your senses due to madness.
Allah knows best.
What happens if you Do Not Have Access to Water?
If you do not have access to water or you only have enough to drink from or is contaminated, you can perform a dry ablution or Tayammum.
The process for this is done by these following steps:
- May the intention to purify yourself and your heart, and say Bismillah, which translates to In the Name of Allah.
- Place your palms on clean earth or dust, for example, the wall or stone.
- Blow into your palms.
- Wipe both of your palms over your face.
- Wipe your right palm with your left palm.
- Make the dua for when you have completed your wudu (see above)
We hope that this helps you in making proper wudu to purify yourself prior to performing your daily salats. As said in the Quran:
Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you. (5:6)